Here is a list of our top 10 tips for diet and nutrition.
1. My motto is eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper. Your breakfast has to be the most well thought out and well planned meal of your day. Breakfast sets up your metabolism for the entire day. Eat breakfast within 30 minutes of waking and make sure it contains carbohydrates.
2. Imagine your metabolism like an outdoor bonfire. We want that fire to be burning hot and well maintained. In order to do that we tend to it often adding wood, fuel, etc. This is a perfect analogy for your metabolism. If you go long periods with no food your metabolism tanks (or burns out). You will then begin to store fat and you are creating a crash and recover pattern with your metabolism that isn’t good.
3. We are a culture that is obsessed with these “white” foods. We use nearly nutrition-less bleached white bread, white rice, sugar and more. Those white foods are like a snickers bar for your stomach. Replace the white breads with whole grains, the rice with brown or wild rice and sugars in moderation or a natural sweetener like Stevia.
4. There are many opinions on this “don’t eat after 7pm” “don’t eat carbs at night” etc. The most recent studies show that you really just should not eat within two hours of lying down. Your metabolism does slow down while in a sleep state so any excess food can be stored in the body as fat instead of being burned off during normal body function.
5. One of the worst things you can do is fill up on liquid calories. As a society we are killing ourselves with these drinks. Starbucks, sodas, milkshakes, etc. Some of these liquids have more calories than entire fast food value meals. What’s worse is they don’t fill you so you’ve blown 1000+ calories and 30 minutes later you are hungry. The best liquid options are water, tea and coffee (don’t overdo it with sugar, cream, etc).
6. Our portions are OUT OF CONTROL! A good rule of thumb is your plate should be about the size of a Styrofoam throw away plate, and your protein portion should be no larger than your fist.
7. Depriving yourself week after week can lead to reverting back to old bad eating habits and can lead to frustration. Allow yourself one cheat meal per week. Pick that one thing you have been craving all week and eat it, get it out of your system and return back to the healthy choices.
8. One of the best things you can do for yourself. It aids in many body functions as well as improves the look of your skin, mental clarity and much more. It will keep you feeling good during workouts and will often times help you feel full to avoid those tempting foods.
9. Avoid bringing “risky” foods into your home. If they are there you WILL eat them. Enjoy your “cheats” outside of the house. Instead fill your pantry with healthy snacks and foods that will encourage you to eat right not tempt you to splurge.
10. Protein is more satisfying than carbohydrates or fats, and thus may be the new secret weapon in weight control. Getting enough protein helps preserve muscle mass and encourages fat burning while keeping you feeling full. So be sure to include healthy protein sources, like yogurt, cheese, nuts, or beans, at meals and snacks.